Tips To Help Organize Your Office
Office Organization Tips
For most businesses, January and February are the quietest times of the year. It is the perfect opportunity to declutter and organize your office space, whether or not your business is home based.
Start your project with a PURGE. An effective declutter formula for deciding what stuff stays and goes is:
Where R = Recent - When last used?
F = Frequency - How often used?
AC = Acquisition Cost - Easy or expensive to replace?
SC = Storage Cost - Cost to store and maintain?
RC = Retrieve Cost - Cost to retrieve or is it outdated?
As you are sorting through the stuff on and in your desk and cabinets, set up the following files to organize what you're keeping and minimize the number of times you need to "touch again" the same piece of paper:
- Create a meeting or appointment folder - put all related information in the folder so you just need to grab and go. No searching and forgetting key details.
- Create a WOR (Waiting for Response) - everything that you are waiting for someone to get back to you goes in this folder. Review it regularly to determine if follow up is required.
- Reading folder - File any articles or print items that you wish to read at a later date and aren't urgent.
- Magazine boxes - These are great for storing catalogues that you reference regularly or magazines and journals you're keeping for research or reference. Recycle any that are no longer relevant.
- Storage boxes - Archive files that are complete and need to be retained for future reference, budgeting or tax purposes. Move these boxes out of your office space into a storage space elsewhere, where they are accessible but not cluttering up your physical or mental workspace. If you don't need to access these files on a regular basis, St. Albert Storage units provide you with the extra space you need.
- Schedule your filing weekly - Pick a regular time that works for you. It's a great way to spend a Friday afternoon, then everything is ready for a fresh start on Monday morning.
OFFICE DECLUTTERING TIPS
Now that you have your existing documents and paper dealt with, the following tips help you keep the clutter down and your space organized.
On your desk space have two trays; one for new documents; typically your "in" box, and one for ongoing work that needs to be done.
Also, setting up your desk space with two working zones is very effective. One zone for computer work and one zone for non-computer work. This way, when you are working in one of your zones, your brain is focused on the task at hand.
Keep your desk surface as clear as possible. Use your desk drawers to keep your supplies, like tape, paper clips etc. neat, accessible and organized.
Often, paperwork can be scanned and stored digitally, reducing the need for actual paper files on your desk or nearby.
KEEP YOUR OFFICE CLUTTER FREE USING SELF STORAGE
Need space for your archived files? St Albert business storage spaces can provide the extra space you need to declutter your office. Some reasons to use Self Storage units in St Albert are storing inventory and products, seasonal furniture, excess furniture and to save money by not having to rent an extra office or space. Give one of our storage experts a call today at 780-651-8056.